Friday, November 7, 2008

A-few-thoughts-on-Proposition-8-from-a-devout-Mormon

I thought that this was well written so I should include it on the blog. It was written by a friend about the difficult issue of Proposition 8, from the Mormon perspective.

I hope those in the gay community can understand why it's important to those that oppose gay marriage. It's got nothing to do with not loving our neighbor. It's got everything to do with upholding marriage as a sacred institution that should not be changed. Marriage in the pure definition, a covenant between a man and a woman to live as husband and wife, which was traditionally a religious ceremony

Here it is in its entirety:

"As many of you know, I am a California native notwithstanding spending the past 14 years in Utah. I am also a very active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. (Mormon) Some time ago my church announced it's support for Proposition 8 in California. This defines marriage as the union between a man and a woman. Even knowing that this would be a controversial and difficult issue, I found it important to support the proposition however possible. As a non-CA resident I was not allowed to vote for it. Throughout my life I have enjoyed great friendships with many men and women who are gay. This includes some of you who are friends here on Facebook. I treasure these friendships. I was pleased to see Prop 8 pass though my heart went out to those friends who I knew would be disappointed by the results.

In the past few days it has been widely reported that a large percentage of the funds supporting Prop. 8 came from Mormons. This is true. There have naturally been strong feelings from the "No on 8" community against my church. Today in front of the Los Angeles Mormon temple there were large demonstrations. I understand that the gay marriage movement will continue to strive for legal gay marriage. I am sure that those of us who oppose it will continue to stand for our side also. It is great to be in America where we are free to do so.

In this note I am asking all of us to please keep in mind that we are all brothers and sisters. I am proud that my church was VERY clear that we were in no way to ever put others down because of their beliefs. Our rallies were always to be "Pro-8" not "anti-gay". We were consistently reminded that there are good people on both sides of this issue. Simply because we disagree even on this important of an issue, does not mean we need to hate each other. Today in front of the temple there was a man holding a sign that said "Mormons go to hell". I was appalled. I would have been equally appalled if someone were to hold up a sign reading "Gays go to hell". Another sign said "Mormons, go back to Utah where you belong!". I would never tolerate a sign reading "Gays go back to San Francisco where you belong". I would denounce that person on the spot. On some blog sites there have been suggestions ranging from posting signs that read "bigot" in your Mormon neighbor's lawn to "crashing" Mormon church services to blocking the entrance to Mormon churches. I hope that we can get past this type of dangerous rhetoric. I support peaceful demonstrations in open forums. There is an appropriate time and a place. Conversely, if you know of any "pro 8" groups that are engaged in this type of appalling activity against anyone, I will be the first to join you in fighting them. I ask you to please do the same.

Please keep in mind that while much of the money came from Mormons, we make up a little over 2% of the state population. A lot of people of all faiths as well as atheists voted for it. Also, the money came from the members of the church, not the church itself. Rage at one religion is misplaced.

I hope that we can come together and not let this vote divide us. To my gay friends, please know that I love and respect you. I can not imagine how difficult this must be for you. I have always tried to be a good person and a good friend. In high school I was ridiculed for having gay friends. That's ok. They were my friends. I am proud to say that I have never attacked, verbally or otherwise, anyone based on their orientation. I hope that if you hear someone say that Mormons are hateful bigots, you will be able to say that you know some of us and that we are not that bad. I have done the same and will continue to do the same for you.

Pray for peace"

No comments: