Monday, August 11, 2008

Obama and I Kissed a Girl

Have you ever been "listening" to the radio, but not really been listening. You like the tune, it has a good beat, but you're really not listening to what is said. There is a song out currently by Katy Perry called "I kissed a girl." Without listening to the words, it has a catchy tune and a beat that you'll tap your toes to, but once you listen to the words, the song becomes very offensive. Yeah, I said it. OFFENSIVE. Now some will roll their eyes about some Mormon Utah County dude getting offended at some little thing. I'm not that guy. But, I do have morals. I do believe that some things are wrong and sometimes you need to stand up and say something. And this is one of those times when I'm not going with the crowd because this song is WRONG. I have had to ban all radio stations at the office that play this song because it's offensive to my customers. I have to ban the radio stations that play this from my car so my kids will not listen to this garbage.

So why not do more you say? Well, I did write all the station managers locally that are playing this song... Here is what happened:

To general manager of a local Salt Lake radio station:

"We've had to ban your radio station from our warehouse and front office because of one song that you play a lot that is offensive to our customers. "I kissed a girl, and I liked it." As the owner of the company, I can't have that playing at my company while I have customers here. It really is an offensive song. I regret that I've had to instruct everyone to quit playing your station. We really liked all the other music.

Sincerely -JB"

Response from general manager of local Salt Lake radio station:

"THANKS FOR YOUR EMAIL...unfortunately, I think most of the radio stations play that song, so you're probably going to have have to resort to CD's...

I appreciate your concern, but it's obviously not offending all that many people, since it's the #1 song in Salt Lake City, and has been for almost 9 weeks.

I guess the good news is that it's getting to a point that it's getting burned out, so I know we'll stop playing it within the next month or so, due to that. Hopefully for your sake, the other stations will too, but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks again for your email"

My response:

"Thanks for responding to my email. I didn't expect you to change your programming just because of my email, but as a business owner, I know that I'd like to know what the reason is for losing a long-term customer (listener).

You're right about other stations playing that song. I found that out after we switched all the stations and then again heard it. So, we've had to change over to Pandora.com where we can give a song a thumbs-down if it isn't right for the work environment. We had to ban X-96 several years ago because of offensive music, but that isn't so surprising. I thought that we were safe with your station.

I'm not an uptight guy, but when it comes to what songs my customers are hearing in our office / warehouse and what songs my kids are hearing when they are in the car, I have to careful and I'll shut the radio off or change the channel.

Best regards - JB"

So there you have it. Apparently I'm the only one that finds this song offensive and doesn't want his kids listening to this trash. Has nobody else complained? Are you just "listening" without really hearing what is being said?

This reminds me of our Democratic Presidential Candidate, Barack Obama. Not because he is talking about lesbian make out sessions, but because on the surface he sounds great. He is a great speaker. I enjoy "listening" to him speak. But then I analyze what was said and I'm shocked. (not so much offended). Like his plan to send out "stimulus" checks to every American, then sending the bill to "Big Oil" because of their "windfall profits." Excuse me? Is that not the idea of capitalism in America? Are we supposed to limit our profits? As a business owner, I don't want the president sticking his hands in my pockets every time I show a big profit. I'm in business to have profits. If I can have big profits, even "windfall profits" then I'm doing something right, and I'm probably employing a lot of other Americans. It makes me sick to think of this communist philosophy of taking money from corporations to pay to others. America is the land of the free. A capitalist nation built on principles of freedom, not communism. Let's listen and HEAR the words in the music and in the speeches our presidential candidates are giving.

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything. You've got to be your own man not a puppet on a string. Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name. You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." - Aaron Tippin

Don't just stand by. Stand for something.

Au revoir

JB

No comments: